Next opportunity to join PTK at HVCC: Accepting New Members NOW!
Members of Phi Theta Kappa have exclusive access to:
- $37 million in scholarships
- CollegeFish.org, a college completion and transfer planning tool
- Five Star Competitive Edge, a personal and professional development planning tool and online portfolio
- PTK’s Career Resource Center
- Publishing opportunities in Phi Theta Kappa’s anthology, Nota Bene
- Personalized letters of recommendation for scholarships and employment
- A Press Release announcing your academic achievement
- Increased pay grade for entry level federal jobs
All PTK members receive the following:
- The Phi Theta Kappa Golden Key Membership Pin
- A Phi Theta Kappa Membership Certificate and ID Card
- The official Seal of Phi Theta Kappa placed on your college diploma upon graduation
- Notation of membership on your college transcript
- Recognition by wearing Phi Theta Kappa Commencement Regalia during graduation
In addition to these tangible benefits, new members may participate in an induction ceremony during the semester in which they join. The Alpha Xi Sigma chapter at Hudson Valley Community College also sponsors member-only events, to help members develop research and leadership skills.
The best part about membership in Phi Theta Kappa is that your level of involvement with the Honor Society is up to you! You may choose to participate in all of the events, or none of them if you wish.
Only students who meet basic eligibility requirements will be invited to join the Alpha Xi Sigma chapter of Phi Theta Kappa. The requirements for induction are:
- Matriculation into a program at HVCC
- Completion of 12 credit hours of college level work
- A minimum cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.70*
- Students must adhere to the Student Code of Conduct
- Students must possess recognized qualities of citizenship
Once a student is inducted into PTK, a cumulative GPA of 3.50 must be maintained. When a member’s cumulative GPA falls below 3.50, they have one semester in which to bring their cumulative GPA up to 3.50. If they fail to raise the cumulative GPA to 3.50 after one semester, the member shall have their name stricken from the local chapter roll and the Phi Theta Kappa National Headquarters shall be notified to strike the name from the national roll as well.
*Regarding the minimum cumulative GPA of 3.70: As stated in Chapter 3, Section 1.A of the Bylaws of the Alpha Xi Sigma Chapter of Phi Theta Kappa, courses taken prior to a five year absence from the college may be excluded from the initial eligibility GPA calculation. This is done upon request – if you would like to find out if this exception may make you eligible to join PTK, please contact email@example.com from your HVCC email address.
Additional membership opportunities:
Provisional Member: A provisional member of Phi Theta Kappa is a student who, in the opinion of the local chapter, has shown an active interest in the affairs of the fraternity and who serves the fraternity in some special capacity, but who does not meet the full requirements for membership. Chapter requirements for admission as a provisional member shall be academic excellence as defined by a cumulative GPA of 3.70 on all credits taken in high school. In order to become a provisional member, a student must be enrolled in an associate degree program at HVCC, adhere to the student code of conduct and possess recognized qualities of citizenship. Provisional members will not be affiliated with the national organization of Phi Theta Kappa, cannot hold office and cannot vote on chapter, regional, or national matters. Provisional members will pay local dues of $2.00 per semester, but are not required to pay national dues until they have qualified for full membership.
Alumni Member: Alumni members shall be former members of the fraternity who terminated their active membership in good standing, with a minimum of one years enrollment at the two-year college. Alumni members shall be entitled to all the privileges of full members except the right to vote or to hold office.
Honorary Member: Honorary membership may be granted in this chapter to individuals who have rendered distinguished service. Honorary members may not vote or hold office, and may not be a student or recent alumnus.
Each new member is charged a one-time fee of $80.00. If you are a transfer Phi Theta Kappa member, the fee is only $10. The fee is collected to help with the expense of Chapter operations.
All fees are paid at the Student Activities Office, Siek Campus Center, Room 210. Payment may be made by check or money order (made out to ptk-fsa) or by cash or credit card payment. If you have questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org